When deciding child custody and visitation, there are two primary decision makers in the scenario. This includes the parents themselves and the judges (courts). In this article, we’ll be discussing the judges as decision makers for the child visitation and child support.
When two spouses in a marriage are heading for divorce, child custody is something that will come up if the spouses have children together. If both spouses can’t agree on proper child support and visitation procedure, it would have to be argued in courts. This may have to be done twice.
• The first time is done optionally – A preliminary proceeding (motion hearing). In this scenario, the judge makes a temporary decision on the matter until the divorce ends.
• The second time, the argument is done at the final divorce trial.
Judges generally appoint neutral experts for gathering information and preparing reports. These reports would include recommendations about custody and visitation matters.
The courts will also consider any evidence that the attorney of each spouse would be able to present about what’s in favor of the child’s best interest.
Typically, the following factors would be looked into as evidence for child custody and visitation:
- The mental and physical health of all parties involved.
- The adjustment of the child to his/her home life, school life, and community.
- If either one of the parents is the primary caretakers of the child or is a stay-at-home parent.
- The people in the child’s life who are important to him/her. This includes grandparents, siblings, and other family members.
- How well the child bonds with both parents/
- The religious and cultural upbringing of the child.
- If the child is old enough to make his/her own decision about the custody options.
A while after the courtroom trial, the judge will issue a final written divorce order. Once a conclusion has been made, the decision would become final.
Through the entire process, it is essential to make sure both parents have a skilled child support attorney Orlando to guide them appropriately and support throughout the whole process. One of the best attorneys in Orlando, FL is The Law Office of Erin Morse. At the Erin Morse Firm, experienced and professional lawyers make it their priority to ensure client cases go in the right direction. The Erin Morse Firm hears you in your time of need. Contact us now!