Computed Tomography or “CT” scanners have been performed on animals since the 70’s. However, the use of this procedure has grown over the past few years in veterinary practices, since these scans can offer high-quality images which would enable vets to make a more effective diagnosis on animals. The most significant advantage gained by veterinarians is that CT scanners have now become more affordable in their practices.
However, before implementing a CT scanner into veterinarian practices, there are some critical factors to consider, such as:
• Conventional tomography or Computed Tomography?
Although conventional radiographs can be used on animals, certain drawbacks should be considered.
• Which CT scan would fit the practice of the specific veterinary clinic?
To determine the right scanner, the practitioner should be able to identify these aspects:
– The size of the animals treated by the facility.
– Range and weight of the animals.
– The types of studies to be performed.
– Identifying if emergency situations are to be treated.
– Identifying if enough space is available.
– The requirements for installation.
• Obtaining new, refurbished, or used equipment?
While considering that scanning quality has improved and has become more affordable, CT scanners are being utilized by vets everywhere. CT scanners can be costly for purchase and operate, however, refurbished and used equipment are available in the market.
When considering the health of patients, ensuring that the facility is utilizing some of the best systems and equipment is a necessity. One of the most advanced technologies available in the market is the introduction of a GE PET CT scanner. This is a combination of Positron Emission Tomography (PET), and Computed Tomography (CT) configured into one machine.
Amber Diagnostics is an organization that provides used and refurbished equipment worldwide. Amber diagnostics has a reputation for offering the best equipment and custom fit services according to client needs to ensure patients get the best healthcare and results possible.